Wednesday, August 28, 2013
I just read one of the most powerful articles on parenting that I think I've ever read. It's from the Arbringer Institute, which has written other books that have changed my life (particularly Bonds That Make Us Free). And with 5 pages of a carefully written article, "The Parenting Pyramid," they've done it again.
"In times of crisis, the temptation is to let the corrective action use up all our energy. But this is a mistake. Ultimately, the problem with our child goes deeper than discipline--and so does the solution. This is the time to begin identifying, and doing, the kinds of things that the deepest levels of the pyramid recommend. It is the time for greater goodness, for greater emphasis on our marriage, for any ways--however small--to help rebuild affection. In such extreme circumstances, it may be a long time before we're in a position to teach. But that's precisely what the pyramid reminds us: premature teaching will not be effective anyway. As we are patient, and as we do all we can where we can, we can make a deep and genuine difference in the life of even the most unhappy child."
I have teenagers. I needed this!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment