Saturday, August 10, 2013

How to delete pictures off your iPad 2

I know deleting pictures off an iPad sounds simple. However, there are certain pictures that an iPad does NOT like to delete. It is rather rebellious that way. However, I have now tamed the beast and I'm happy to tell you how!

I had several hundred pictures on my iPad that I had uploaded to it. That's the problem. iPad only likes to delete photos taken by it and refuses to easily delete any other kinds.

So...plug in the iPad to your iMac. Open Preview and then click on File. Click on Import from [name of your iPad, ours was Titanic so that we could see the words "Titanic syncing," just a little laugh every time]. Select all your images (you can do this easily by pushing Command-A, or you can do this one at a time if you're a glutton for punishment). Then notice the red "delete" circle at the bottom. Click on that, say "yes, you are sure!" (and click on the answer to that question) and viola, the pernicious pictures that refused to leave after being asked politely, well, they are now gone and I have space on my iPad again.

If that doesn't work, then try this (WARNING: make sure you've taken off all the photos you want to keep since this deletes all photos on your iPad): 

Create a folder on your hard drive that is named whatever you want (but NOT the name of the folder that actually contains anything). Connect your device, then open iTunes, click on your device's name, then Photos and sync to that empty folder (check the Sync box, Choose Folder, choose your new empty folder, Apply). iTunes will sync to that empty folder, and all your iPad pics will be gone. You still have all of your photos in the usual place on your computer.

Then if you want to upload just a select group of photos to your iPad, copy these photos into a new folder on your computer and name it something like 'photos for upload to iTunes'. Then go back to iTunes and sync to that folder. Then you will have ONLY those photos on your iPad.

On another note, I thought it would be a lot more difficult to fill up 28 Gigabyte iPad. It was not difficult at all and I must be so very careful with my space, just a year and half later. Note to self: Buy more space than you'll think you'll ever use, you will be wrong and use it all!

~Valerie Harmon

No comments: